Tips for Planning the Ultimate Urban Wedding—Boston Style
Planning a Wedding Tips and Advice
A lot goes into planning a wedding. Whether it’s an intimate family affair or a weekend wedding celebration, coordinating the logistical details of your nuptials can be overwhelming.
The modern couple’s wedding festivities—from the time you get engaged to the day you enjoy the post-wedding brunch—can consist of up to nine different events.
To help you simplify the process, here are a few helpful tips to keep in mind:
Plan a Detailed Budget
Of all the steps there are to plan your own wedding, budgeting is among the most important (and least desirable).
Knowing how much money you can spend will determine the size of your guest list. So, before you decide on a venue, hire any vendors, or send out invitations, calculate the maximum guest capacity your budget can accommodate.
Choose an Accessible Wedding Destination
Lively and chic, urban destination weddings embrace the flair and sophistication of modern living. If you’re searching for that perfect “Bright Lights, Big City, Skyline Views” setting, here are a few things to look for:
- Choose a destination that will allow your guests to get around and enjoy themselves without the hassle of renting a car.
- Central Location and Good Public Transportation
- How far is the airport?
- Is there a reliable, extensive network of public transportation services and are they within walking distance from the airport and the destination?
- Are there scenic sights—parks, historical landmarks, one-of-a-kind attractions—for photo ops?
- A location with an eclectic array of dining, shopping, and cultural attractions can also double as a fun and exciting honeymoon destination.
Pick a Flexible, Full-Service Venue
A full-service wedding venue with a dedicated team of event professionals can streamline your planning process. Here are the top venue features to look for:
- Onsite Event Coordinator
- Opt for a venue that can schedule and help you coordinate multiple events. Hosting the rehearsal dinner, ceremony and reception, and post-wedding brunch at the same venue can save time and money.
- Chef-Driven Catering Menus and Flexible Bar Packages
- With a custom wedding package and a set price per head (versus planning with multiple individual vendors), you know exactly what you are getting and how much your budget can afford.
- Indoor/Outdoor Versatility
- Does the venue offer a flexible footprint that can accommodate a variety of different events?
- Does the layout offer scenic views of the surrounding area?
- For daytime events, choose a setting with a relaxed, ambiance. A space that features large windows and an abundance of bright, natural light is perfect for wedding-related events.
- Bridal Rooms and Guest Accommodations
- With onsite guest rooms, amenities, and other conveniences, out-of-town guests can enjoy an easy and comfortable travel experience.
- Bridal rooms are a must-have for your big day, serving as a space to relax and get ready surrounded by your bridal party and/or close family.
Boston Wedding Venue
Famous for its charm, history, walkability, and landmark attractions, Kenmore Square in Boston is a crowd-pleasing destination for urban wedding festivities.
Awarded “Best New Wedding Venue” by Boston Magazines’ Best of Boston Weddings, Hotel Commonwealth offers 12,500 Sq. Ft. of Indoor/Outdoor Event Space. We are only steps from Fenway Park.
Contact an event planner to learn more about our award-winning Boston wedding venue.
The Knot Reviews
Read what other couples love about us.